Monday, October 8, 2012

What I don't like about Windows 8

1.  The double lock screen
To me, it is just plain silly two have two lock screens, one for a pretty picture of a flower with appointments and one to type in your password.  The flower and password screens should be combined into one showing appointments, email count, and the password too.

2.  The start menu and desktop are very disjointed.  It is all very jumpy.  I have a Windows Phone 7 and I love the device.  It flows smoothly between the start menu and applications.  The start menu on Windows Phone 7 makes sense because the phone primarily a communication and socialization device.  The desktop PC is for work; managing documents, creating code, doing research, managing photos and videos.  I think Microsoft has the idea that the desktop is the same as the phone.  It is not.  Going from the new start menu to the desktop is like coming out of the dark movie theater into a bright afternoon day.  Shockingly bad.

4.  Does not work with a Microsoft Mouse. 
I have a wireless Microsoft Mouse.  While it works, it hangs up some of the time.  It works fine under Windows 7.

5.  Modifying the pointer speed in the control panel does nothing.
I have a new Dell Core I7 Laptop and the accupoint is as slow as molasses.  Windows 8 is nearly unusable.

6.  It does not remember my browser preference.
The first program that I installed was Firefox.  When I click on a link in my email it still goes to IE.

7.  There is no red X.
Microsoft has made it nearly impossible to close an application that runs from the start menu.  You have to go to the left hand side, find the application, then right click then click close.  A far cry from the single click of an X.  Bring the red X close button back.

8.  It is nearly impossible to find out how to shut down the PC
For years, Microsoft has trained us to click the Start menu to shut down.  Now they have completely lost their minds and have buried the shut down under the settings menu.  Nothing  says Shut Down like Settings.  Really?

9.  Windows 8 didn't recognize an SSD drive. 
I was shocked at this really.  My older laptop with Windows 7 was able to recognize an SSD drive.

10.  Unless you have used a previous version of Windows you are sunk.
Control Panel cannot be found unless you actually type it into the start menu.  I have been using Control Panel for years but is not actually one of the options on the new start menu.   While the Control Panel may be found on the desktop side bar, it is not intuitive.  You basically have two areas of settings.  The settings in the new start menu and the control panel settings on the desktop.  Really they should be one.  If I am running on the desktop, I want to see all the settings.

I skipped running Vista at home because of similar issues:
* Microsoft simply renamed or buried things so badly it was nearly impossible to find. 
* Hardware incompatibilities

It looks like I will be waiting for Windows 9 until these issues are fixed. 

I will write a post on the positive things later.  I will give Windows 8 one positive thing out of the gate; Windows 8, boots up much faster.  It is nearly as fast as an Amiga 2000 in boot up speed.

2 comments:

Bill Sempf said...

1) The password isn't the only way to open a Windows 8 device. The double screen supports a lot of other functionality.
2) Change your styles if it is shocking. Most users will use one or the other.
3) There isn't a 3!!
4) I didn't have this problem, but it does suck!
5) I didn't have this problem either. Latest drivers?
6) Yes. I hate this too, hope they fix it. Lots of apps force a browser though...
7) In Windows 8, the operating system manages the app lifecycle, and it is actually better. You'll get used to it.
8) No one shuts down PCs any more. Laptops close, PCs stay one and tablets go to sleep.
9) That's the first I have heard of that but gak!!
10) 99% of users don't use the control panel, and 80% of those who do, shouldn't anyway.

Greg Finzer said...

1. Right, I am asking for a single screen.
2. The point is that it goes from Metro styling to classic. It does not seem it is as integrated as Windows 7.
3. What can I say, I was tired.
4. Yes
5. Yes
6. Yes
7. Probably the biggest beef about this is that the user has to take their hand off the mouse to press the windows key on the keyboard. On a touch device with a Windows Home button, this makes complete sense; the users hands are already all over the tablet or the phone. On a desktop it seems not well thought out.
8. I guess I am the only one that wants to save energy. I just can't see leaving on my PC all day that has a 600W power supply. That is like leaving all the lights in the house on all day.
9. That's not a good excuse for Microsoft's bad design.