Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Samuel Kenneth Finzer Update 11

Samuel was put on a regular ventilator today for a test run. He was able to go on it for three hours but he was working too hard and had to be put back on the oscillating ventilator. However they did lower his Nitrous Oxide levels from 10ppm to 5ppm.

Thanks you all for the nice cards, notes, and emails. It means a lot.

My mom fell last night on the ice. She was planning to see Samuel. She is fine. It was the first step onto the driveway. My three year old, Jasmine was more upset. Jasmine was trying to catch Grandma.

It is going to be an icy day again tomorrow. Dad and I are going to work on fixing the cars tomorrow. We are going to Tuffy to drop off the van to have the rim replaced and going to Sam's Club to fix the Impala which has a nail in the tire. I am planning to see Samuel in the afternoon and hand in the financial assistance paperwork that Leyla and I filled out today.

Thank you for your prayers. God is awesome. The only question now is whether God will heal Samuel quickly with a miracle so that he would get the glory; or Samuel will go through a long process to teach Leyla and I patience. In any case, we need to trust that God knows what is best. If you remember Job, he never knew why he was going through the trial; and he had done nothing wrong. It has been an emotional roller coaster, but God has a plan.

Psalm 29:11-13
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.
Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you.
And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.

I can see the providence of God again today. The survival rate for infants with diaphragmatic hernias was 20%, 17 years ago. Then the oscillating ventilator was invented and the survival rate shot up to 50%. Six years ago they determined that Nitrous Oxide could be used to open up the lungs. Now the survival rate is 80%. If Samuel would have been born six years ago he would have had less chance of survival.

2 comments:

mhutsell said...

Samuel was indeed born for "such a time as this." I shudder to think of all the babies in the past who died upon being born back in the days when they knew so much less than we know now. While all the great news is so GREAT...I want you to know that I know it must be so hard to leave your little guy there each day and that there is still an emotional and physical battle being waged...and spiritual. So...we shall keep on praying...even when we don't know why or how long this will go on. We love you!

Anonymous said...

I graduated with you Greg...my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family...my heart breaks that you are dealing with this...please know that we look forward to you posting Samuel is holding his own! God bless.
Lisa Jenkins Ashlock